It is hard to imagine a sweltering Central Florida summer without the refreshing relief of home air conditioning. But most homeowners can agree they could live without the high energy bills. You count on your AC to keep your household cool, and figuring out how to save money on air conditioning bills will minimize the financial burden that comes with the season. At Dial Duron Service Co., we are dedicated to helping Melbourne and Brevard County homeowners beat the heat without busting their budgets. Read on to explore our top tips and strategies for how to keep the house cool in the summer while reducing your monthly AC bill.
Tips for How to Keep the House Cool in Summer Naturally
With energy costs on the rise, it’s more crucial than ever to find ways to promote energy efficiency in the home. Making some tweaks here and there to household behavior can have a significant impact on your energy bill over time. Rather than relying too heavily on your AC to reduce heat in the home, you and your family can take steps to promote a cooler environment where your AC doesn’t have to work quite as hard.
Try these energy-saving tips for how to keep the house cool:
Keep the thermostat set between 72 and 78 degrees.
- This range has been shown to be the most energy efficient for your AC, keeping things cool enough without causing a spike in your utility costs. If no one is home, adjust the setting to 78 degrees so you aren’t paying to cool an empty house.
Close blinds and curtains during the day.
- Rooms with sun-facing windows can get really warm during the sunniest times. Draw shades or close blinds or curtains during peak sunshine hours so the AC doesn’t have to run nonstop.
Use the ceiling fan.
- Turning on ceiling fans and running them counterclockwise will create a cool breeze that allows you to set the thermostat at a higher range without sacrificing comfort.
Change the AC air filter.
- A dirty air filter inhibits the AC’s airflow and often leads to the need for AC repair services. Changing the air filter every 45 to 90 days will extend the life of your HVAC system while making it more energy efficient so it can cool your home with less effort. Simply replacing a clogged filter with a clean one can lower AC energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
Related Content: Should You Replace a Furnace and AC at the Same Time?
Is Your AC Struggling to Keep the House Cool?
Finding ways to conserve energy in the home is always a worthwhile task, but if your AC is still struggling to cool off your home, the issue may go beyond what you can do to remedy the situation. If it’s been a while since you scheduled professional AC maintenance, your system may require thorough cleaning and tune-ups to work its best.
Here’s how AC maintenance services from the experts can help your AC perform at the highest level:
- Enhanced air quality. From decreasing humidity to cleaning the air, AC maintenance will help the air quality in your home feel better. As a result, you’ll breathe easier and feel more comfortable at a higher thermostat setting.
- Increased efficiency. Without proper AC maintenance, the AC tends to use more energy than necessary and still doesn’t deliver the expected house-cooling results. This leads to higher energy bills and a warm house. AC maintenance includes tune-ups to improve the system efficiency so you can enjoy the benefits of a top-performing air conditioner.
- Fewer breakdowns. During scheduled maintenance, your AC technician will catch minor problems and repair them before they lead to a complete system malfunction. These services keep your system performing optimally and for as long as possible.